In my last posting, I mentioned that I was up late due to being at group
T'ai Chi practice the night before. I finally went to bed about 2:15AM
after shaving & showering. I had a very refreshing sleep.  But it was for
only about 3 hours.
I was wide awake about 5:30AM!  Now for you non believers in Chi (or Ki in
the Japanese healing & martial arts) out there, I challenge you to give
another explanation. I've already considered and discussed manic behavior
with my acupuncturist. I've also considered my medication levels being too
high. But I get the usual PD problems with slow movement, stiffness, &
muscle cramps if I reduce the medications.

A few other details before I get ready for work.  I had significant
acupuncture and moxibustion treatment this past year.  My acupuncturist
primarily dealt with the Ki flow (She practices Japanese acupuncture.)
through my liver & kidneys.  She was concerned about what all my
Parkinson's medications were doing to my internal organs.  Right now I'm on
what I describe as a less frequent "maintenance" schedule of acupuncture.
(note- My acupuncturist had not treated a PD patient before although she
has had experience dealing with MS.)

The acupunture/moxibustion treatment along with my continued T'ai Chi
practice seemed to unblock my Chi flow.  When I began practicing a Chinese
saber form (although I use a Marine Corps ceremonial saber that I acquired
while on active duty for 6 years) it really seemed to release my Chi flow.
I was practicing saber form during part of last nights T'ai Chi practice.

The Chinese T'ai Chi masters refer to its health benefits, including the
writings of the late Yang form master, Cheng Man-ch'ing.  I think my
problem is that despite PD, I now have increased Chi flow and I don't know
how to control it yet.  I would encourage PWP, especially young on set PD,
to take up T'ai Chi.
It would be interesting to compare our experiences on this list.  I would
like to see a scientific evaluation of the benefit of T'ai Chi &
acupuncture to PWP.

What do you think my boss would do if I took my saber to work?  (The rule
is no weapons are allowed on the work site.)  I can see the headlines now
about a saber carrying union shop steward. Despite the PD, I still have
somewhat of a wicked sense of humor.  And it would be fun to see my bosses
face if I walked into his office with my saber and said that I had a
grievance to discuss! (And a benefit of PD is that it helps me keep a
straight face.)  But shop stewards are suppose to keep their heads on
straight, so I'll leave my saber at home.

Sincerely, Charley Countryman  [log in to unmask]