I have been following this thread regarding Buspar and PD with interest.  Buspar
is a drug marketed as a non-sedating anxiolytic.  The major problem I have found
with it is that it helps very few people. I have not seen any data that says
that it is CONTRAINDICATED (meaning absolutely should not be given as opposed to
caution used when it is used in PD).

The statement that was quoted about the caution that should be exersized was on
a theoretical basis.  If buspar does block relevant dopamine receptors then it
should cause rapid (within an hour or 2) exacerbation of symptoms.

Since in my experience at least the drug helps so few people and the question
exists as to its activity at Dopamine receptors, it probably should be avoided
by PWP, but a theoretical statement should not be read as a Contraindication.

For my own curiosity I would like to know the effect buspar has had on PWP.  I
will do a brief survey in another post.

--

CHARLES T. MEYER, M.D.
Middleton, WI