        Thank you Janet Paterson for posting this info.

        Something that bothers me about the conventional treatment of PD is
that other than the usual advise about diet & exercise given by Dr's to
their patients, there doesn't seem to be much available to help them
integrate  other therapies with their treatment by medication.  Medical
science has shown that chemical treatment and some surgical techniques are
essential to treating PD.  However over focus on medication & surgery tends
to cover the fact that PWP are on many different levels in life and with
PD.

        The situation of a younger or middle aged person with PD is often
much different than the more senior person who may be able to retire from
their job or the person with very advanced PD where patient comfort may be
a primary concern.  The younger or middle aged PWP probably needs to think
about alternative ways of keeping themselves actively involved in major
life activities such as employment.  The senior retired PWP would probably
benefit also from life practices that enhance participation in diverse
activities.

        I would advocate that PWP consider a  major  approach beyond
medication in dealing with PD. We are usually advised to lower the stress
in our life.  That is valid advise, but too often it gets translated as
doing less.  Being more active doesn't always = greater stress.

        Since bradykinesia is a primary symptom of PD and PWP also
frequently deal with depression, I know that PWP cannot just decide to be
more active.  Also as an ordinary person, I know from experience that most
PWP aren't going to discover some brilliant way of dealing with PD.
However PWP would probably be wise to adopt in a BIG WAY a comprehensive
world view beyond just material science in dealing with life and PD.

        A spiritual world view will help keep a PWP moving in both a
literal & figurative sense.  I am a  Christian.  However, I will
acknowledge that other spiritual world views do help a PWP deal with the
disease and do what needs to be done beyond just looking for and taking
that right medication.  I will also acknowledge that a spiritual world view
does not necessarily require a belief in God as such, Zen Buddhism for
example.

        Since this is not a religious list, I would like to discuss the
specifics of spiritual practice and PD directly with you or with a group.

Peace to you.

Charley Countryman  [log in to unmask]