It's been a couple of days since we had any replies, so this looks like
it's played out.  The results are as follows.  NP=no problems;
PL=physician's letter stating need for a tag and reason

State     # of replies   Comments

CA           2          NP
FL            2         NP, DL, $15, renew in 4 yrrs
GA          1                  NP, Obtained for stroke, not pd
IN          2           NP, DL needed and dr must  recertify ability to drive;
                        renew in 4 yrs.
KS            2         NP, DL needed and dr. must recertify ability to drive.
MD            1         NP, DL, $5 fee which was refunded
NY           3          NP, DL recertifying ability to drive needed at license
renewal time if you check "under doctor's care"
NJ             1                NP
NV           1          once they find you are PWP, they request an interview with
someone in DMV plus driving test
OH           2          NP getting permit but when renewing license, if  you                    check
"under doctor's care and tell why, you will be notified                         to take driving
and written test (in one case, but they get                     conflicting opinions) and in
another, he takes just driving                  test every 3 mos--a drag! (no pun
intended, Art).
OK           1          NP, DL done by mail; free
PA           2          NP
TX              1               NP
VT           1          NP, DL with later verification of ability to drive
WI           1          NP,  DL to verify illness and ability to drive

Australia     1         NP, DL

Alberta, CA  1          NP
UK             1                NP except, rarely, permits not accepted by local officials
who have their own versions  (i.e., Kensington, Chelsea)

Out of 15 states, therefore, only three people have reported the state
requiring testing, and at least two of these stemmed not from applying for
a permit but from applying for renewal of their driver's license and
checking that they were under a doctor's care.  I suspect they keep a close
rein on Don because of his seizures and not his PD.  If there were
widescale harassment of PWP when they applied for permits, I think we'd
have heard from them by now--rest easy but don't take bureaucratic red tape
lying down.  If anyone wants to report more, I'll stay on line and check
the list for permit subjects, but otherwise will delete wholesale and enjoy
the kids and grandkids (we had three planes to meet today--let the party
begin!)

Kathy Kunz