Don, this is the serious side of Ken talking: Don't get mad, and don't sell
your family antiques to pay the hospital bills. First, I suggest you ask
Medicare to reconsider, see if you can reach a supervisor, or call another
office to see if you can get them to pay. If that doesn't work,  tell the
hospital you are on a limited budget, but you pay your bills, ask if they can
give you a discount, to help you out, they will often discount to even fifty
percent, maybe less. Then ask if you can pay monthy. There is no shame to ask
for help in paying. Many folks don't pay at all, or make one payment and stop.
It costs a lot of money to chase people who don't intend to pay, and to hire
lawyers, etc. So when someone is trying to do the right thing, they will
appreciate that. If you feel bad about asking for a discount, then pay it all,
but in manageable payments.   I understand how you feel, I pay so much for all
kinds of insurance, and it always seems like they find ways not to pay claims,
or to pay less.
We need you to be happy and keep spreading cheer to the list, not to be upset!