Gil Lieberman wrote:

> Our troubles started when we changed neurologists.
> Our current neurologist took Aliza off selegeline twice a day and perscribed
> half pill dosages at four hour intervals during the day.
> He claims that selegiline is bad for the heart.

Does this mean she is taking 2.5 mg of selegiline four times each day? If so,
this should be limited to morning only in my experience enlarged by many anecdotally.

> Previously,one quarter pill and half pill doses were used with no fainting
> spells.
> But Aliza did feel very weak and we weren't checking BP around the clock as
> we do now.
> She has a weak heart valve causing cardiac insufficiency.
>
> I also neglected to mention that Aliza has swollen feet which up to now we
> had attributed
> exclusively to her hear problems.We would like to understand the role of PD
> and PD meds on
> foot swelling.

I am not a medical professional, but believe the explanation that the lack
(scarcity) of muscles contracting and relaxing due to PD "rigidity" is
responsible for the pooling of blood and fluids in the legs and feet.  This
effectively drops the return (veins) supply of blood to the heart which is
sort of starving the pump.

The elastic stockings might help. Exercising will give the muscles some tone
and using elastic help may not be needed if enough exercise is habitual.
sitting up slowly - and standing up slowly might help and leg extensions to
straight and lifts and relax, lift and relax might pump the blood enough to
avoid faintness.

Aliza takes diuretics and is on a low salt diet.

why? her blood pressure needs to be raised!

She has
> trouble with bladder control

many people do. sedentary women "all" do perhaps.  PD reduces sensory feedback
and the meds seem to over-sensitize the bladder pressure when the meds peak in
blood.  The urge to pee is extreme for me -  then, the anxiety to get to a
urinal is sometimes agony producing because the anxious dump of more
neurotransmitters "tightens" the sphincters all around and may increase the
sympathetic and para-sympathetic neurotransmitted signals.

> Note correction of one of the BP entries in my original post.

correction not found.  did note ! instead of 1 in several numbers,

hope this helps you to get specific and precise with your physicians.
--
Ron Vetter 1936, '84 PD dz      paradise is feeling good, not a place to go
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter