George Andes wrote in part:

Without question a
> chronic illness such as pd profoundly alters relationships, but with every
> loss comes a gain for those who have eyes to see.

of course, you are "seeing" with cognition of caring for each other rather
than optical perception.

> For the past five years my wife and I have spoken to second year medical
> students  at Harvard Medical School as part of their lecture section on
> neurology.   I talk about my symptoms; she talks about her role as
> caregiver and the relationship of the family to the patient.  Her remarks
> are as important as mine. She gets the more interesting questions from the
> students.
>
> George Andes  64/15 and still counting.

after 10 seconds you can quit counting. (;^)).

George, have you a prepared presentation that you could give me? or , is there
a videotape of one of these presentations? our support group is small and
unsophisticated and thrifty, but I have given short talks to the local
homemakers group as well, and am hoping to do more in future.

The role of the patient is also one of the primary changes that must happen in
the Parkinsonian psyche. Acceptance of death by slow incremental deterioration
is much better than denial which does not allow knowing the reality that life
is precious if we choose to live which requires us to know and love our self
and it's manifestation in our chosen family. Cherishing only one-self is the
loneliest choice.

Giving gifts is certainly important. it is most helpful to the giver (even if
s/he is also the receiver) to give. If one perceives that s/he is being
mis-treated by the world or the fates, it is inevitably true that s/he is
"seeing with distorted perception".  My best to all. If a reader feels
abandoned, let him break the shell of his "egg" and assume the role of the
bird rather than let the egg die before it lives. If you have felt danger of
death as a caterpillar, open up and change to the butterfly - though you live
only a litle while, you do live and joy comes with that.
--
Ron Vetter 1936, '84 PD dz      paradise is feeling good, not a place to go
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter