From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of Ejrcpa
Sent:   Wednesday, December 24, 1997 2:39 AM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        nausea

Hi list -

first the good news- after 2 1/2 month struggle, Mom's back in a new assisted
living apartment and this one is wonderful - good food and practical,
thoughtful assistance.  Her walking and buttoning is better than before the
fall.

if it ain't one thing it's another - after a couple of days in new home, she
began experiencing nearly constant nausea.  It's been a week & a half now and
while she has good moments, the nausea is still hanging around.  Afternoon
seems to be worse.

2 theories before we start wondering about other dread diseases:

1) although no new drugs and no increased dosages, she has recently cut back
on non-parkinsons meds.  now taking:

sinemet CR 50/200 3x a day with an extra non-CR 25 boost in AM
permax .05 4x a day
axid - (for heartburn)
oxybutynin - (for minor stress incontinence)

none of above is new, has been same drugs for months, same dosage for over a
month. a week ago she  cut out:
norvasc - (for blood pressure, probably never needed it)
glyburide - (for too-high blood sugar, hers is nearly always okay)

can cutting out these drugs cause problems?

I know sinemet or permax could cause nausea, but would it make sense that it
would cause problems after this long?

2) new carpeting was put in her apartment the day she moved in.  Two friends
have suggested that as possible cause (visitors can still smell the fumes, but
Mom can't), but I can't find any info on internet about it.  Has anyone ever
heard of this?

thanks for any input.  We're struggling to keep her off compazine (which I
fear may have started all this in the first place.)

I hope you all have some good moments during the holidays.  The subversive
depressive thought for the day is: life is too long to spend being miserable.

emily ([log in to unmask]) for Mom/Ruth 76/5 mos.
nyc