Don, Let me see if I can set your mind at ease. First of all I don't
think you are using a "220 volt" extension cord. If the cord plugs into
your regular duplex wall outlet and has a regular  recp on the end that
you can plug a lamp into, then it is safe to use, or even if the wire
itself is rated for 220 volts, then that is even better than wire that
is rated for 110 volts. Two 60 watt bulbs will draw about 1 amp. So that
is a very small load, so you could operate 30 , 60 watt bulbs if those
were the only devices operating on that circuit.
And timers are safe to use, assuming that all extension cords, plugs and
recepticles are in good condition and have no loose connections or
frayed wires and are not subject to physical damage, such as being
tripped over.
And with ref to your computer, it should be plugged into a "surge
protector" of which there are many to choose from, with varing degrees
of effectiveness. The $10 K-Mart ones aren't worth much except to give
you a lot of outlets to plug stuff into. A really good one from APC or
Pannamax will cost from $70 to $150 and give you much more protection
for your equipment.
Hope you can understand all this and that it helps you.

Lanier Maddux        Chattanooga Tn