I was amazed that many of the symptoms described below parallel some of the
more common symptoms of Parkinson's disease.

Barb Mallut
Wednesday December 24 5:16 PM EST

Poverty Increases Health Risks

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Poverty and sustained economic hardship increase the
risk of developing serious physical and mental health problems, according to a
29-year study from the University of Michigan School of Public Health in Ann
Arbor.

"High levels of income inequality in the United States, and reduced access to
medical care for the poor are likely to have serious short- and long-term
public health consequences," said lead author John W. Lynch.

The study, published this week in The New England Journal of Medicine, also
found a strong "dose-response" relationship between the number of times people
experienced economic hardship and the subsequent development of physical and
psychological problems.

"The greater the number of episodes, the worse the health profile over 30
years," said Lynch, an assistant research scientist in the university's
department of epidemiology.

The study defined sustained economic hardship in terms of the number of times
records showed a household income was twice that of the poverty line for the
years 1965, 1974, and 1983.

In 1994, researchers evaluated the physical, psychological, social, and
cognitive functioning of the more than 1,000 study participants.

Compared with people without economic hardship, those with one episode of
economic hardship in either 1965, 1974, or 1983 were 1.49 times more likely in
1994 to have difficulties managing basic activities of daily living, such as
cooking, shopping, and handling money.

Those with two or three episodes were respectively 1.85 and 3.79 times more
likely to have problems with these basic activities in 1994. A similar
"dose-response" trend was noted for other activities of daily living, such as
walking, eating, dressing, and using the toilet.

Lynch said that men and women who experienced more than one episode of
economic hardship were also more likely to report problems in cognitive
functioning in 1994 -- including "having difficulty remembering where you put
things, forgetting names."

A similar trend was also observed for the development of depression. The study
found that those who had experienced one bout of hardship were only slightly
more likely to report symptoms of depression compared with those who had not,
but those who had dealt with two "doses" of economic hardship were 1.72 times
more likely to report depression, and this rose to 3.24 times among those who
had gone through three periods of poverty.

Lynch commented that the study participants were a relatively young group when
the study began, in their 30s and 40s. Moreover, he notes that statistically
adjusting for risk factors (smoking, obesity) and disease did not greatly
alter the findings.

"I think we've provided the best scientific evidence to date that being in
economic hardship causes poor health outcomes," he said. "Even when we looked
at people who were young and healthy in 1965, those who experienced greater
economic hardship over the next 25 years, had worse functioning."

The researcher said the findings "do have implications for policy and things
that we need to think about as a society."

Lynch commented that, given the shift toward managed health care, "I think we
should all be very concerned that those people who might actually get the most
health benefit from medical intervention -- those experiencing economic
hardship -- are the least likely to access and receive that care." SOURCE: The
New England Journal of Medicine (1997;337:1889-1895)