On Tue 23 Dec, Direct Imagination wrote:
> A few months ago there were quite a few new items regarding Coenzyme
> Q10.  My father (72) has had PD for about 15 years, and is having a lot
> of trouble with both dementia and short term memory.  Does anyone have
> any experience with CQ10 and advanced PD, and recommendation with with
> how much CQ10 to take?  Thanks.  Stephen Hubbard  [log in to unmask]
> (213) 217-7764
>
> Ray Hubbard and his medications
> 200 mg of CR 6 x day
> 250 mg Sinemat 6 x day + 1/2 at 2 am
> 2.5 mg Parlodel 3x day
> 50 mg 1.5 per day Zolof
> 0.125 mg Lanoxin per day

Hello Stephen.  I came upon your request for comments, and a few
thoughts do strike me which may help, but unfortunately I cannot
offer any information on CQ10 - is it an experimental drug, or is
it one of that large and ever-growing family commonly known as
snake-oil? Maybe another one of our group may be able to help. I
see that Ron Vetter has written to you about the level of Carbidopa
in your father's tablets, and I endorse that. but I am more
interested in the circumstances by which he came to be taking a VERY
high quantity of levodopa. To put it in perspective, I have only ever
met one person taking more than your father (3000mg compared to your
2850 mg). One point which may be fooling me first : Has he had a single
or double Pallidotomy? If yes, then there is little more to be said:-
Pallidotomy is known for permitting higher than normal dosages of
levodopa without the usual diskinesias.

Assuming no pallidotomy, are you sure that he needs the tablet doses
as you have listed them ? I shudder to think of what it would do to me
if I took the same doses (I was diagnosed 20 years ago ). If I was
taking all Levodopa rather than a mixture of Madopar (that's like
Sinemet) and Pergolide, I estimate that I would be taking around 1600 mg
of levodopa per day.

I believe that, although there are many possible reasons why someone who
is 72 can develop memory loss and Dementia, the presence of excess
levodopa in the brain in such potentially high quantities certainly would
not help, and MAY hinder his mental state.

I would suggest (and of course you need to discuss this with your
neurologist ) that you should be at a position where you are taking much
more levodopa agonist. I only have personal experience of Permax (and
parlodel- bad effect). I take 3 and 1/2 milligrammes of Permax per day,
and it works fine for me. (I also take about 750 to 850 mg of levodopa).
It is the proportion of agonist to levodopa which is imoortant, and in your
father's case he is high on levodopa.

This is a complicated subject; if you are interested and want to discuss it
more then please let me know.

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>