My husband, Ted, had terrible leg cramps for a long while ..... In the past he
had had terrible back pain and other ones, but this was different.  He had
injections of cortizone.   Ended up begging for pain killers which made it
livable for a few hours.  We used the heat from a pad that could be heated in
the microwave.   Mayo clinic doctors wanted him to take more sinimet, but that
did not help.  The very last visit at the clinic was a rhuematoid doctor who
suggested we wrap his legs with ace elastic and to use the Capsaicin.  You
have to be faithful in using Capsaicin and it takes a while before it works.
Three or four times a day and one doctor told us it usually takes a few months
to really work.  However, it did help him.  I realize your problems may not be
the same, but we all reach the point where we will try anything.  The onset of
his cramps came after a severe winter where exercise was limited.   We make
sure he gets exercise now, even if we have to go the Mall in bad weather to
walk.  ALso he later had a change in heart medicine and there may have been a
circulatory problem.  In addition, he was at the time taking Florineff,and I
have just found from Katherine Holden's posting to someone else on the list
that a possible side effect of Florineff can be muscle cramps.

Don't know if any of this can help you but we have to try.

Virginia Christiansen
White Plains, NY