Brenda Moxley wrote:

> Ron Vetter,
>
> How do you calculate 75mg of carbidopa?   David takes 1 1/2 25/250 generic
> sinemet three times a day.  Is he taking 112mg carbidopa?
>
> > 200 mg of CR 6 x day
> > 250 mg Sinemat 6 x day + 1/2 at 2 am
>
> >taking 462.5 mg. of carbidopa per day is not beneficial, it is detrimental.
> >the saturation dosage is 75 mg. per day.

the 50/200 Sinemet CR has 50 mg.of carbidopa:6 x 50=300 mg plus the
25/250 Sinemet has 25 mg. or 6.5 x 25 = 150 + 12.5 = 162.5 making the
total for the day 300+162.5 = 462.5

if David is taking 1.5 generic carbidopa/levodopa 25/250 tablets 3 times each
day he is taking 1.5 x 3 x 25 = 112.5 mg.

the answer is yes. I question the dosing schedule he is using. The half-life
of the medicine is not six hours.  so the 6AM. 12pm, 6pm schedule anticipated
by the drug company is giving a lot of levodopa in the bloodstream about 45
minutes to an hour after ingestion (if followed by small meal without much
animal protein or fat which will keep the med in the stomach longer).

after about 3 hours, the amount (concentration) in the blood will be about
half the peak level.  at 5 hours after ingestion, it will be one-tenth (10%)
of the peak level.

I recommend David try my dosing which was half as much twice as often. I
helped a lot to use 3 tablets as six halves taking them 2.5 to 3 hours apart.
I have used that schedule for perhaps 8 years.

my web-site has several links to medication info. my most recent was to graph
some of the human testing data reported by the makers of Sinemet CR. you may
wish to peruse
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter/levoplas.html

However, the data scatter is quite large.  Happy New Year (as we label the
start of another revolution around the sun).
--
Ron Vetter 1936, '84 PD dz      paradise is feeling good, not a place to go
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter