At 05:51 PM 12/26/97 -0500, Dolores Gross wrote:
>AARP invites suggestions re subjects to be written about.  An >article
dealing with Parkinson's would probably not be terribly >informative to
those who have it, but possibly if the article >included details about
grass roots efforts and the resulting Udall >Act, along with the names of
the major Parkinson's organizations, it >could be a positive.

Dolores,
Another reason for including an article on Parkinson's in the AARP
publications is that it will help people who have undiagnosed Parkinson's
learn that something is wrong that would justify their going to a
neurologist.  The visit to the neurologist would confirm (or deny) that the
person has Parkinson's.

One of the problems that we have in documenting our case is that there are
a lot of undiagnosed Parkinsonians out there - suffering but not knowing
that something can be done to relieve their symptoms.    Even after a
person is diagnosed, we may have trouble finding him/her to count among our
numbers, but it is easier to find and count diagnosed people than
undiagnosed people.

Once these people are counted among our numbers, our case in the halls of
Congress and at the NIH - and even at AARP - becomes more compelling - and
surely some new activists will arise from among them to help press our cause.

Art

Arthur Hirsch [] [log in to unmask] [] Lewisville, TX

               Always Remember This:
     Happiness Is Right, So Choose Happiness