Ivan M Suzman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> A CALL TO ACTIVISM from a young PWP who is sick of being sick and
>tired>>>>>>>>>>>

... SNIP...

>   My only suggestion insofar as Santa's undelivered gift is to be MORE
>VISIBLE.  It means pushing, even when the "PUSH" is almost gone. I guess
>what I have been given is "chutzpah," the NERVE to be out there, pushing
>for a cure, whenever I can muster the energy.
>
>   A moving example of this "chutzpah" is Joan Samuelson.  She is so
>powerful in the video , "The Politics of Medicine."  Helen Mason
>recommended it to the list, so I ordered it from the Parkinson's Action
>Network (1-800-850-4726).
>
>   She is a wonderfully beautiful and chutzy lady, a courageous woman,
>with passion and YOUTH.  You look at her in the film, and say to
>yourself, she is too young and wonderful to have a terminal disease like
>PD.  You say to yourself, isn't there SOMETHING I can do, too??

Ivan, I agree with a lot of your message, but surely you make life
harder on yourself if you think that PD is worse than it really IS! You
DO KNOW,  don't you, that it is not a terminal disease? You may die WITH
it, but it's highly unlikely that you will die OF it!

Just for a different viewpoint, let me say that I regard PD as a friend,
not an enemy. My reasons:
1. I can't lose it, so I might as well live graciously with it.
2. It may not be the sort of friend one would want to introduce to one's
mother, but it HAS done me the kindness of introducing me to one of the
nicest, lovingest, supportingest bunch of people I have ever met - PWPs,
who I DO count as true friends.

--
Jeremy Browne - [log in to unmask]
Hampshire, UK