On Sun 21 Dec, donald mckinley wrote:
> At 03:54 PM 12/21/97 GMT, Ernie Peters wrote:
> >Hi Brian,
> >
> >I was just contemplating having a go at your programme (although I am in the
> >throes of computer change over time - if anyone knows the best way to
> >transfer Eudora mailboxes to a new computer please let me know) when I
> >realised there was an easier way to carry out the finger tapping test.
> >
> >Grab a stopwatch, open a blank word processor document and see how many
> >zeros you can type in from the key pad in the 10 seconds.  It is not as
> >elegant (as you would say) as a computer programme, nor as tasty as Barb's
> >ice cream idea, but the only practical difference is the chore of counting
> >the zeros (use the cursor or you will go boss eyed) and the need for a
> >stopwatch or timer.
> >
> >I actually owe you an apology, I thought you had gone mad or made a typing
> >error, to suggest the figures of 50-70 taps per sec.  However I was
> >surprised to record in 2 tests just now, figs of 50 and 52 with my right
> >(affected) side.  Mind you, this is in my "ON" state so not as good as your
> >figs. Julia achieved 85 on left and right hand.
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Ernie.
> >

> >Ernie Peters <[log in to unmask]>
> >
> ernie you might go in to nicknamess and make dic. on floppy then put them
> back in eudora nicknames

You programmers out there seem to be a shy and retiring bunch - I have
had no response do far to my request for someone to do a simple bit of
programing. The version that I posted (for the Acorn RISC PC) only took me
an afternoon to knock together.

For those who take the Spread Sheet way, to make things even easier, I
did the following, just to try it out.:
1.  Set up to input the zeros. (I find that If I first enter a 'Quote'
    mark, then all the subsequent zeros are treated as an alpha-numeric
    string.
2.  The spreadsheet will do the count for you: On my program, suppose I
    entered the zeros in location a1 : If I then enter in say address a2
    'LENGTH(a1)' the length of the string will be automatically calculated.

    I think that Don was actually trying to tell me the same thing as it
    applies to Eudora, but I can't be sure because I don't have Eudora.
    Thanks anyway Don

However, I still view the spreadsheet route as a second best, for the
following reasons.
  I find that I cannot get my score beyond 65 using the spread sheet,
wheras I score 70 - 75 on my computer program. This is not due to a
slow spreadsheet, but appears to be the penalty resulting from having to
keep one eye on the stop-watch and one on the tapping finger. I can
definitely attack the tapping key with a greater degree of frenzy when
I can give it my undivided attention.

So I think it is still important to get a small program in IBM- lingo.
I will try to get a response with a direct advert.

Regards
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>