Lynne Redgrave's father, the actor Sir Michael Redgrave, died from
complications of Parkinson's disease in 1985. Ms. Redgrave wrote and stars
in a one-woman show called "Shakespeare for my father", which addresses the
subject of Parkinson's head-on. The play presents a poignant picture of how
the illness affected her father and her family.

She tours with this show, and in June 1996 came to Tucson. She contacted
Tucson's local Parkinson's group (the Arizona Chapter of APDA) and offered
to help us coordinate a benefit performance and a reception which she would
attend. We took her up on her offer, and she was was a most engaging and
eloquent spokesperson for the cause." She readily agreed to television
interviews on the subject and discussed PD with local newspaper reporters.

Her father's battle with PD was difficult for everyone in her family. She said:
"Because my father was a man of extraordinary facial mobility who was able
to play characters with such extraordinary emotion across his face, it was a
particularly cruel blow that he should be stricken with a disease that robs
the face of expression. I think that was the hardest thing for us as a family."

Joel Gerstel and others at the national office of APDA arranged for her to
do the radio PSA's which some of you have heard. I have not head them yet,
but I am sure Lynne Redgrave speaks from the heart on the subject of PD.

Cynthia Holmes
APDA Coordinator
University of Arizona