On Mon 29 Dec, John Cottingham wrote:

> FOR DOS/WINDOWS USERS:
>
> Attached is a program called Tap.exe. It can be ran either from DOS or using
the windows run command.

FOR JOHN COTTINGHAM

Hello John,  Many thanks for your speedy response to my appeal for a program
to count key taps. As you know, my computer is not software compatible with
the IBM PC, which is why I had to ask for your contribution.

I had hoped that I would be able to run your program on my second processor
board, which has an IBM 486 chip onstalled, but when I tried I got the
error message 'Missing arithmetic co-processor' I assume that means that I
need a 486DX chip, and I only hsve a 486SX. No problem, of course, because
I am tho only person who already has a program (for the Acorn RiscPC)

I do have one query: in the third paragraph of your email, you write that
the program counts the number of keypresses....during a 60 second period.
Is that a typo?  my original spec called for a timed period of 10 seconds.
If we have to keep going for 60 secs, I am afraid we will be (literally)
tapped out!

Arthur Hirsch asks what are we going to do , now that we have this resource.

Well Arthur, you may not be aware that I offer a service to any PWP who may
need it, in which they keep a record of the tablets which they take, and a
listing of how they felt during the day (Using a subjective scale ranging
from -2 (heavily underdosed) through zero (just right) to +2 (heavily
overdosed), and I analyse the data and attempt to come up with suggestions
regarding what tablet dosage is best for you, and how frequently you need
to take it.  The snag is that it is not easy to repeatably identify a
condition of -1.5, or +0.3 (and the emphasis is on repeatably.  I have for
some time been aware of the tap test which is used as a measurement of
co-ordination and severity of Parkinsonism. How much easier it would be to
simply make a summary showing time vs number of taps per 10 sec.

So I am now looking for people with enquiring minds who will provide me
with samples of their tap count at intervals to be agreed.

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>