The following appeared in a column in the San Francisco Chronicle
today:

Q: "I discovered, to my distress, how many "temporary Internet files"
my hard disk was storing using Microsoft Internet Explorer.  Many of
these are small, but the disk space consumed was far in excess of the
size of the contents.  How do I tell Internet Explorer to limit the
length of time these files are stored?"

A:  "Temporary Internet files, also called 'cache' files, consist of
graphics and other elements of Web Pages [including "digital
signatures"].  When you visit a page for the first time, your browser
stores the "constant elements" of the Page so that it can be opened
faster on subsequent visits.  Unfortunately, you can't set an
automatic expiration time for temporary Internet files.  But you can
delete cached files and limit the amount of disk space they take up.
In Internet Explorer, choose Internet Options.  In the General tab
you'll see a button for deleting temporary Internet files, and
another button called Settings, which lets you determine the maximum
amount of disk space for temporary files."  (also, disable "Digital
Signatures")

I have been making a pest of myself in complaining about the use of
Microsoft Internet Explorer/Outlook Express with its "special
features" enabled (the "default" setting when you get the program),
and how, for many of us, this results in e-mail messages coming with
"attachments" and other binary junk.  The above question, asked in a
computer column in our local newspaper, addresses only the cluttering
of the *sender's* hard drive; this accumulation also occurs on the
*recipient's* hard drive.

I am making a plea to those of you who use IE and/or Outlook
Express, to disable these "bells and whistles" when posting List
messages.  Leaving them in place can cause crashes, clutter up one's
hard disk; and, in my case, will result in my not reading those
messages.

Best,

Bob

ROBERT A. FINK, M. D., F.A.C.S.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, CA  94704-2636  USA
Phone:  (510) 849-2555   FAX:  (510) 849-2557

WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"