From:   Parkinson's Information Exchange on behalf of PEwaschuk
Sent:   Tuesday, December 30, 1997 4:12 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        it lives, it breathes, it writes

happy holidays cyber-siblings

i tap at you from the heights of almonte, ontario, canada
soon [as of jan 1st] to be known as mississippi mills. ontario, canada
[i'll bet you suthern americans
had no idea the great mississipp wandered this way]

my transatlantic move has [finally] taken place
apparently satisfactorily
five suitcases and four cat carriers landed at the ottawa airport
with some trauma but no permanent damage

the balance of my 'stuff' accumulated during 16 years in bermuda
has survived the sea voyage to montreal
and is wending its containerized way
to me now, even as i tap

i'm waiting for culture shock to set in
but haven't seen any hint of it yet
[but i am looking at
the land of my birth and first 36 years of life
with fresh eyes]

this northern landscape is beautiful in its own way
the view from my window is no longer a pastel vision
a monochromatic grey/white/black line drawing
which has its own unique appeal

i've been busy getting re-aquainted with my sister and her daughter
[i have only seen my niece a few times during the past ten years]
we've been having fun, putting up christmas lights
running errands, cooking some good meals,
getting generally goofy,
in essence,
absorbing 'family'
in an in-your-face three-dee manner
which up to now has been quite limited to this [now ex-] hermit

during the past two years,
'you lot' have been my main source of 'family atmosphere'
and now i find myself telling stories about you to this 'new' family
[i hope your collective ears have been burning!]

even though we haven't met in three-dee
you are all just as real as could be to me

and now i get to share the laughter and the tears from 'the list'
with another 'layer' of dear family members
it adds a sweetness and depth
that i didn't expect

i haven't written up to now
since whatever 'routine' i had
has gone out the window into the snow
and i have also been struggling with learning aol's quirks [!]
using my sister's compaq

i feel like the other half of my brain
is in that container packed in a box labelled 'computer'
is that a bad sign?
of computer/internet addiction?
or simply a sign of these amazing times?

my best wishes to all of you and yours
from all of me and mine

janet