On Wed 31 Dec, Elf 808 wrote:
> Brian,
> I'm a bit confused on this ..... not to be picky or anything but what is the
> point of a shorter "tap timelimit"? I'm sure that you've a really valid
> reasoning. Surely I'm mistaken in thinking that the "tap stamina" would factor
> in somewhere..... how will you quilify the results ? if the tap test is 10
> seconds ... will you  times that by 6 to get a "minutes"worth?or even 30
> second testings times 2 for a "minute" ... wouldn't the stamina issue factor
> into this because of the "pd" quirks? I'll understand completely if you want
> to tell me to "shuffle on along" <G> ... just curious that's all. ::: moving
> back to the peanut gallery::::)  Elf in Tn...Romona
>  http://members.aol.com/elf808/index.html   <---newbie webpage but it's in
> color <G>
> Elf wife to Tony (my hero), and mom to Tori (age 9, nda), Zach (age 7,
> multichallenged), Cory (age5, multichallenged). The boys have no definative Dx
> but several labels... Ataxia,Nystagmus, Strubismus, Dystonia, Parkinsonism,
> Asthma, Execma, Hypotonia, Spasticity....ect  Collectively the
> Dystonia/Parkinsonism effects the boys from eyes to toes and progressing
> steadily. Currently Cory & Zach are taking Sinemet, Lodosyn and Cory has had 4
> rounds of Botox, uses a walker or WC for mobility.
>
> << Hello Bonnie, Yes, I would like tapping results from people without
> Parkinson'S as well
>  BUT I CANNMOT use the 60 second result which the program currently gives.
> Hopefully
>  John Cottingham is working on the change, and we will be up and running.
> Meanwhile
>  please DO NOT send me 60 second data

Hello Bonnie,  Thanks for taking an interest in my attempts to get some useful
data from the tapping test. First, may I say that it is so heart warming to
see a family who have survived in the face of considerable adversity, and
who are obviously very close.
  I think you will understand my reasons for wanting a 10 second test if you
read the next few paragraphs.

1)  I did not invent the tapping test. It is one of a number of tests that
neurologists use to try to measure the degree of severity of parkinsonism in
a patient.  I had heard of the test, but only recently  (During the recent
Remacemide drug trial) had the opportunity of taking the test.

2)  The test box which was used measured about 1 inch high, and 2.25 in x 4in.
It has a window with a digital display, and a single key on top. The first
press of the button started a timer which ran for 10 secs during which time
the display counted the number of key presses that had occurred. This test
procedure is recognised internationally (The box is made in the USA).

3)  In the course of testing with the box I established that the repeatability
was remarkably good, at +/- 1 count in about 70 counts, provided (and this is
important) you really gave it all you could.

4) Here's part of your answer: The test is designed to test dexterity and
flexibility. NOT to test stamina or power: that is another test altogether.
There is, for instance, a test where with one finger, you must repeatedly hit
two buttons set 30 cm apart. This test IS carried out for 60 secs.

5) Now as to my reasons for taking an interest in the test. I have written a
program which I used to help me adjust my meds to their optimum levels,
(having failed to do so by just looking at the results: There is too much
going on.) I then began to use it to see if I could help other PWPs who may
be having problems. (So far, out of 20 guinea pigs, 15 stated that they had
gained a positive benefit from the experience.

4) The problem is that as it is currently configured the program requires the
subject to assess their 'condition' on a scale ranging from +2.0 to -2.0.
This allows me to analyse each person's data over a range of conditions, but
comparison of two people is not possible because the condition scale is
subjective, not Objective

5) The tap test may, (and the emphasis is on 'May') prove capable of
measuring the condition in an objective way, and may allow me to discuss my
results in terms which are recognised by the professionals

I will stop now. I hope you understand the situation now, and if I ever get
things straightened out I will be delighted to receive your input.

Regards,
--
Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]>