I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 1988 and prescribed Sinemet,
Parlodel, and later Eldepryl. I have done well until recently. In November
of this year I developed burning chest pains. An angiogram conducted on
December 4 revealed an occluded descending posterior artery. On December 5 I
underwent an angioplasty during which a stent was placed. The
post-angioplasty period went well for about 10 days, when I began to
experience episodes of orthostatic hypotension with syncope. During this
post-operative period I continued with the Parkinson meds as prescribed. I
was hospitalized for 5 days and closely monitored. During this period I
exhibited extreme orthostasis with most any postural change. The most
parsimonious interpretation of the events of those 5 days involve the
Parkinson's meds. The occluded artery probably required greater effort from
the heart thus producing mild hypertension. Parkinson meds such as Sinemet.
Parlodel, and Eldepryl can produce mild hypotension. The result was a normal
blood pressure. The angioplasty relieved the occlusion and allowed the heart
to return to a less effortful rate, but the Parkinson's meds now served to
lower the blood prssure even further. The result was severe orthostasis. The
consulting neurologist discontinued the Eldepryl and added Lodosyn
(carbidopa). He intends to adjust the meds further over time. It was a
frightening time for me, and I encourage any Parkinson's patient to consult
with a neurologist regarding the effects of our meds on the circulatory
system. Especially so if angioplasty is contemplated.

Best wishes,

Thomas Barrett