>Greetings!

>I'm in the process of putting together my dissertation proposal.  I
>was wondering if anybody out there knows if this has been done
>before.  I would like to do an extensive character analysis of
>female characters in UK cycle drama.  I did one on Eve a few years
>ago, and discovered that there were regional differences which
>reflect, I thought, a cultural bias toward women: the Cornish
>creates Eve as being Adam's peer, for instance.  Beyond the basic
>texts themselves, is anyone aware of any other work in this area?

>Thanks,

>Tad Atkinson
>Ball State University

There was a book published in 1996 that was dealing with the
character of Mary in French and English drama : title : Contrary
Marys in French and English Medieval drama. I don't remember the name
of the author (I'm sure it's a woman). If you read French, there are
the two articles of Jonathan Beck "Images de la femme dans le theatre
medieval", in Le theatre populaire au Moyen Age et a la Renaissance,
Barcelone, 1988. and "Sexe et genre dans l'hagiographie medievale :
Les mysteres a saintes", in Le Moyen Francais, Montreal, 19 (1986),
pp. 18-33.

Mario Longtin
PhD Student
University of Edinburgh