Brian,
Thanks for explaining this so that I could understand :) Being that I'm the
mom who's doling out the Sinemet and Lodyson to my boys (ages 8 and 5) it made
lots of sense on how the tap test has the possability of "judging" how much
and when. Right now for me it's an ongoing "stress" of everyday here.... in
having to "eyeball" Zach's gait and his speaking abilities on whether to have
him take 1/2 or 3/4 pill at a time... there are days that he really needs more
to finish up the day and again there are times when bare minimiums work. For
Cory it's not as "tricky" ... the Sinemet  gave him back his speech, controls
the drooling and has in conjuntion with Botox injections "erased" the pain of
spasms and especially night time cramps in his legs... there doesn't seem to
be a "yo-yo" effect with him any more or less than 3/4 tablet of Sinemet and
Lodosyn is "non-effective" ... with more he vomits and with less his speech is
highly effected and the drooling begins again.

We've taken the boys to neurologist, Movement Disorders clinics, orthopedics,
and genetics ...all the doctors there have been helpfull in one way or another
though the couple of answers that my husband and I would like answered aren't
found yet... like "what is this" , will it get better/worse (well it's getting
worse but you know what I mean), is it something that will be fatal or will it
be something that will be a challenge in keeping them "free from pain"? We
don't have a definative dx just lots of labels ...some that are easy to manage
and others that are frustrating. Being here online with such wonderfull people
that are willing to open their hearts and share their "experiance" has been
more helpfull for us then you can ever imagine. I just want to say "Thank you"
from the bottom of my heart for being here to lean on, laugh with, commiserate
together and every now and then give us a kick in the bottom to get us off the
sidelines of a pity party of one , last but definately not least informative
information!!!!!!.... here's to a "new year" that will hopefully bring in
happiness, and healthy "news" and of course many new friends..... Take care
and best wishes from an Elf iN Tn....Romona
 http://members.aol.com/elf808/index.html   <---newbie webpage but it's in
color <G>
Elf wife to Tony (my hero), and mom to Tori (age 9, nda), Zach (age 7,
multichallenged), Cory (age5, multichallenged). The boys have no definative Dx
but several labels... Ataxia,Nystagmus, Strubismus, Dystonia, Parkinsonism,
Asthma, Execma, Hypotonia, Spasticity....ect  Collectively the
Dystonia/Parkinsonism effects the boys from eyes to toes and progressing
steadily. Currently Cory & Zach are taking Sinemet, Lodosyn and Cory has had 4
rounds of Botox, uses a walker or WC for mobility.
 Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
snip
<<   I think you will understand my reasons for wanting a 10 second test if
you
 read the next few paragraphs.

 1)  I did not invent the tapping test. It is one of a number of tests that
 neurologists use to try to measure the degree of severity of parkinsonism in
 a patient.  I had heard of the test, but only recently  (During the recent
 Remacemide drug trial) had the opportunity of taking the test.

 2)  The test box which was used measured about 1 inch high, and 2.25 in x
4in.
 It has a window with a digital display, and a single key on top. The first
 press of the button started a timer which ran for 10 secs during which time
 the display counted the number of key presses that had occurred. This test
 procedure is recognised internationally (The box is made in the USA).

 3)  In the course of testing with the box I established that the
repeatability
 was remarkably good, at +/- 1 count in about 70 counts, provided (and this is
 important) you really gave it all you could.

 4) Here's part of your answer: The test is designed to test dexterity and
 flexibility. NOT to test stamina or power: that is another test altogether.
 There is, for instance, a test where with one finger, you must repeatedly hit
 two buttons set 30 cm apart. This test IS carried out for 60 secs.

 5) Now as to my reasons for taking an interest in the test. I have written a
 program which I used to help me adjust my meds to their optimum levels,
 (having failed to do so by just looking at the results: There is too much
 going on.) I then began to use it to see if I could help other PWPs who may
 be having problems. (So far, out of 20 guinea pigs, 15 stated that they had
 gained a positive benefit from the experience.

 4) The problem is that as it is currently configured the program requires the
 subject to assess their 'condition' on a scale ranging from +2.0 to -2.0.
 This allows me to analyse each person's data over a range of conditions, but
 comparison of two people is not possible because the condition scale is
 subjective, not Objective

 5) The tap test may, (and the emphasis is on 'May') prove capable of
 measuring the condition in an objective way, and may allow me to discuss my
 results in terms which are recognised by the professionals

 I will stop now. I hope you understand the situation now, and if I ever get
 things straightened out I will be delighted to receive your input.

 Regards,
 --
 Brian Collins  <[log in to unmask]> >>