Never say diet -- say sex on a plate

(January 3, 1998 00:18 a.m. EST) -- Feeling a bit fat? Wishing you hadn't had
quite
so much over Christmas? If so, you're probably thinking of going on a diet ...
again. Well, don't. At least not yet.

In a new book -- so far published only in Britain -- called "Eat Orgasmically
And Still Lose Weight," Dr. Deanna Jepson proposes quite a different way of
leaving all that seasonal self-loathing behind.

Jepson, a former general practitioner who runs seven private eating disorder
clinics in England, is herself quite a tonic. At 57 she is so effervescent
that you feel more lively just listening to her talk.

And how she talks -- about food, about sex and about how our appetite for food
is like our desire for sex. That is, we frustrate it at our peril.

As with most women, her preoccupation with food began as a teenager. In her
case it was when her family moved from Singapore to England. Stir fries and
rice gave way to big breakfasts, sweets and pastries.

"Chinese people are usually slim and petite and I never thought that I could
get fat, but we turned into a family of fatties," she laughs.

The young Deanna, about 40 pounds overweight, started to diet.

"I went through mental hell. I'm an obsessive, over-the-top person. We food
lovers are passionate people and I would lose up to half a stone (about seven
pounds) in a few days and then go on an enormous binge. I alternately starved
and then ate like a maniac. It was frightening."

Her weight yo-yoed wildly while she hated herself for her "failure" to lose
weight. She had developed what she now calls a "fat mind," part of the dieting
mentality, and saw herself as much bigger than she really was.

It was her mother's common sense that ended her miseries -- and which is still
at the heart of her philosophy of food.

"She said, 'Stop dieting and let's eat normally as slim people do. They eat
whatever they like but they don't eat between meals; and they leave food on
their plates when they feel full."'

Jepson did what she was told, lost her excess weight and has stayed more or
less at the same weight ever since.

Today, the basis of treatment at her clinics remains stunningly simple: that
people get fat not because of their hormones or their metabolism or their
genes, but because they eat too much -- and then diet.

"Dieting causes fatness," she argues. "It is an obsessive compulsive cycle.
Dieters
like me can follow a diet, but the moment I break it I start eating and just
can't stop."

She rejects the idea that fat people have weak will power. "Dieters have very
strong willpower, but if you deprive yourself you become too hungry, you lose
control, overeat and then start bingeing -- because bingeing is the body's
solution to dieting."

In contrast to dieters who deprive themselves of the food they love, Jepson
argues that "naturally slim" people get food satisfaction by eating whatever
they want, but compensate for heavy meals by eating less at other times.

And this is where, with unmistakable glee, she starts to talk dirty about
food.

"It's just like sexual arousal," she says. "Your taste buds are ready wanting
it. You can't stop until you peak. Food is the lover to your taste buds, and
if you're not satisfied you will look for another 'lover' and pick at other
food. And then you will feel guilty. People who are passionate about food are
passionate about sex."

Jepson's book has questionnaires to help you work out your food "libido." She
encourages her clients to have at least one "food orgasm" a week.

"It is an ecstatic experience beyond mere food satisfaction in which "both
mind and body are satisfied."

She recommends three mental exercises to turn a "fat mind" into a "thin mind"
and help you lose weight for good.

First, always say to yourself after eating "I enjoyed that" -- keeping guilt
at bay.

Second, if you are not sure you really want to eat, postpone it -- to find out
if you are just "comfort eating."

Third, remind yourself that being hungry, but not too hungry, is OK.

Former dieters at her clinics often have to relearn the natural hunger/satiety
rhythms of the body which have been overridden by years of dieting.

"Regain that rhythm, enjoy your food without guilt and you can overeat
intentionally," she says.

"It is practicing the art of compensation to stay slim."

Which take us back to her mother, who used to say that Chinese people stay
slim without dieting, and they do so by not "eating beyond the plate."

Jepson now gives all her clients a special plate with a decorative "inner
rim." The idea is to eat smaller helpings within this rim to compensate for
overeating. Those who want to lose weight simply eat within the rim more
often.

"There are no 'fattening foods' and no 'slimming foods.' As long as you think
about how much you eat, how often and what you eat is up to you."

There is more plain common sense when it comes total body shape. According to
Jepson, we're all either ectomorphs (long and lean like Kate Moss), or
mesomorphs (more robust Sophia Loren types), or curvaceous endomorphy (a la
Marilyn Monroe).

"We must accept which type we are and make the best of it," she says.

"Young girls want to be like Kate Moss, but what the hell for? Men don't like
it. It is pointless and dangerous to change your body type. Princess Di was a
mesomorph who tried to change her shape into that of an ectomorph through
dieting. The price was bulimia."

Having seen girls as young as six with anorexia, she now wants revolution, no
less.

She urges parents to never ban food because "it makes children obsessed;
anorexics ban everything for themselves."

Now she wants to teach her system to others.

"I want the end of dieting. This is the new food philosophy for the new
millennium."

By BRIGID McCONVILLE, Scripps Howard News Service
Copyright 1998 Nando.net
Copyright 1998 Scripps Howard

janet paterson / 50-9 / [log in to unmask]