I was subscribed to the list several months ago, then took a long hiatius.
My father is 81 and was diagnosed with atypical parkinson's approximately 12
years ago. He is currently living in an Adult Foster Care home, as his day
to day care needs are too much for my mother to manage at home. Over the
last several months my dad's "on/off cycles" have become much more frequent,
and his "spells" seem to be lasting longer. The Sinemet is not nearly as
effective as it was, yet he continues to insist this is the only medication
doing him any good. Of course, he is taking multiple other meds as well. He
was tried on Parladol and Permax, both of which he insisted made him worse &
he refused to take. He was also tried on one of the newer Parkinson's meds
which came online last spring (which I can't remember the name of), with
similar results.

In the past several weeks we have noted he now seems to be quite obsessed
with the idea he is "going to die," soon. As his "spells" become more
frequent and last longer, he frequently verbalizes his sense that "this is
it..." He has been to ER several times complaining he is about to die,
always with the same result... He is basically stable medically, his heart
is good, he has no cancer, no significant intestinal disorder, no problem
with his blood-oxygen saturation levels.... The answer is always essentially
the same: "Mr Auble, we think it's just the Parkinson's..... "

Even after several trips to the Hospital, he continues to complain he "can't
breathe," or "can't get anything out of" his breathing. It seems he is
convinced he is going to stop breathing and die. This of course happens most
frequently at night. Again however, his blood-oxygen saturation is always
fine. His primary care physician did have him scheduled for a sleep study
(to determing if sleep apnea is a significant problem in his case), but my
father then refused to undergo the exam.

My question is this:  Are these symptoms/sensations common in Parkinson's?
Please note, I have worked with older adults in the Health Care Field for
some years -- but I have never heard of these types of problems presenting
with Parkinson's patients. We are all familiar with the most common
Parkinson's symptoms, but is this ** utter conviction that one is going to
stop breathing and/or die ** something I've missed?

Also, what would be some suggested interventions for family members during
these episodes? Of course we are all very supportive and reassuring, and
attempt to re-direct his focus. But as a Social Worker and a Therapist, I'm
frustrated in my repeated attempts to convince the man that his sensations
are only temporary and will pass, he is not likely to die, this is only part
of the disease process, and on and on and on...... It becomes like talking
to a wall!

The other thought I have, as a Therapist, is that this may well be only
attention-seeking behavior and a means of exerting control over his
situation and environment. It's hard to think of my father in clinical terms
however, and I make it a point not to 'try to "treat" family members.'

Any suggestions, ideas, insight or information would be most helpful and
appreciated!  Thanks to all and a Very Happy New Year!  Make it a Good One!

Roger