Hello,

My name is Manfred Heiderich. I am a retired academic, 65 years old and
was diagnosed with PD 5 weeks ago. I joined the list on Dec. 20 and have
been following the messages and exchanges with great interest.

I have several questions:

1. My symptoms are mild. I feel hardly handicapped at all. Why then should
I start drug  treatment (with Sinemet CR)? My understanding is that no PD
drug (with the possible exception of Selegiline)  actually checks the
progress of the disease; they merely mask the symptoms. If that is true,
why should I risk getting drug side effects (I espedcially dread nausea)
before my symptoms pose significant problems?

2. My prescription (which I have not yet taken) is as follows: one tablet
of Sinemet CR 100/25 a day in the morning after a meal. If the release
time of Sinemet CR is 2 to 5 hours what happens for the rest of the 24
hours? Isn't it better to take Sinemet CR before a meal?

3. Isn't Requip designed for a person like myself in the beginning stages
of PD and without previous intake of carbidopa-levodopa?

Your responses are appreciated. My thanks to Barbara Patterson for her
warm welcome.

Manfred