 Hello Manfred,

> 1. My symptoms are mild. I feel hardly handicapped at all. Why then should
> I start drug  treatment (with Sinemet CR)? My understanding is that no PD
> drug (with the possible exception of Selegiline)  actually checks the
> progress of the disease; they merely mask the symptoms. If that is true,
> why should I risk getting drug side effects (I espedcially dread nausea)
> before my symptoms pose significant problems?

Everyone is a unique individual and every case should receive
individual consultation with active participation from the
Parkinsonian if at all possible. I am 53 years old & I was diagnosed 4 years ago.
After consultation with my neurologist we decided I was coping well
enough to forego meds at that time.  Since then my energy level
decreased and (after consultation) we decided to implement Sinemet CR
200/50 at 1/2 tablet four times a day.  (same as 100/25 but more cost
effective; the tablets are scored and readily snap in two)  This year
I have also started Tolcapone (Tasmar) to even out the on's and
off's.  Be sure to give your neurologist feedback if you experience
any side effects.  I keep a diary on this subject.

> 2. My prescription (which I have not yet taken) is as follows: one tablet
> of Sinemet CR 100/25 a day in the morning after a meal. If the release
> time of Sinemet CR is 2 to 5 hours what happens for the rest of the 24
> hours? Isn't it better to take Sinemet CR before a meal?

I take my meds on an empty stomach and then eat something within 20
min. to push the dosage into the gut where it may be absorbed.  I
received this advice from my neurologist.

> 3. Isn't Requip designed for a person like myself in the beginning stages
> of PD and without previous intake of carbidopa-levodopa?

Requip was not available last year when I started meds but I believe
the answer to your question is yes.  Seek out all the info you can
and prepare yourself to consult with the neurologist.  If you go
unprepared and later feel they've shuffled you out the door without
all the answers then go back ready to ask and discuss and obtain
satisfaction. (I changed neurologists until I was happy)

A positive ATTITUDE  and keeping busy is better than drugs.

best regards,  Murray (53/4)