From: Ron Reiner
Subject: Re: Multiple Autoimmune Disorders and PD

>I cannot believe that PD is caused directly by an auto-immune disorder
since
>the immune system does not operate in the brain.  Perhaps these disorders
>and PD have a common root cause.

However, it *is* possible that an auto-immune disorder caused the
progressive death of cells in the substantia nigra.

It is my own hypothesis that there may be a common causative factor for
several neuro-degenerative disorders, especially those that affect the
brain.  Whether or not one gets one particular disorder or another depends
on which *part* of the brain is attacked.  This would help explain the
similarity of symptoms between Alzheimer's, PD, etc.

Jim