Well, Roger, my father who is 80, just about helpless, can barely see, can't
stand up, and certainly gets frustrated and angry, also has been known to
laugh and smile a little, so I would have to say he is not depressed. He has
had PD for a few years.
He has the kind of PD that makes movement almost impossible, with very little
tremor.  I have one other idea, which might or might not apply, I find music
improves my mood, but it has to be music that I like, not necessarily what
someone else likes. What I am suggesting is to  get a walkman type tape player
and some tapes of your dad's favorite music, and see if he responds....  My
father is a musician, and played with a band in the 40's and I made a
collection of the records of that he performed on, recorded  them on
cassettes. One day he was in the car, and I popped in one of the tapes, he was
dancing around in the seat, it made me feel so good to see that.  Good luck in
your efforts. [log in to unmask]