Hi Roger, sorry to hear your dad is having such a hard time.  My husband also
had the fear that he might stop breathing, and in fact the neurologist told us
that the muscles that move the lungs CAN get rigid when you're 'down', just as
your arm and leg muscles do.  Fortunately your diaphragm is not affected, so
even though it feels scarey you will be getting enough oxygen to keep on
keeping on.  When the sinemet kicks back in, the lung muscles normalize and
the panicky feeling abates.

We also learned from the neurologist that Parkinson's affects the "executive
skills" such as problem solving and planning, while an excess of sinemet
causes short term memory loss.  So when there is a worrying situation it may
be really hard for Harold to deal with it in a "mature" way because he doesn't
necessarily have the ability to figure out what to do or the memory of being
told what's going on.  So we work together when he's feeling good, to make up
routines and visual reminders that will help him get through the rough times.

Good luck to you and to your dad!
Barbara Baichtal CG Harold (58,20)