 From: p. l. maddux

> I am interested in your use of Sinequan, I have on  hand a
supply of
> Elavil which I think is similar to Sinequan.

Hi Lanier,

First, I must stress that I am not a medical practicioner,
and that my use of Sinequan was undertaken after careful
consideration and discussion between me, my neuro, and my
GP.  Any decision you might make regarding Elavil should be
made after you discuss the matter with *your* medical
advisers. (Sorry about this, but I can't afford the
malpractice insurance <grin>)

Sinequan is doxepin hydrochloride.  Elavil is amitriptyline
hydrochloride, so they are not the same drug.  Whether their
effect is the same I am not qualified to answer, but I
expect it is.

> just wondering that based on the above information , do
you , based on
> your experience, think the Elavil might be helpfull to me
taking a dose
> only once in a while?

I certainly think it is worth discussing with your doctor.
I don't take Sinequan as an anti-depressant (although I once
did, thus my knowledge of it), just as a controller of PD
med side-effects.  It has some side-effects, such as dry
mouth, and should not be taken with hypnotics, nor when
driving or operating machinery.

I don't know whether Elavil is a tricyclic anti-depressant,
like Prozac, but their are contra-indications against taking
tricyclics with MAO inhibitors such as Eldepryl.  But since
you aren't taking any PD meds, that shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck

Jim