Brian  Collins wrote:

>  The concensus on this
> list (it seems to me) is that quite a sizeable body of evidence is
> building up against Mirapex - larger than normal, that is. Or maybe
> the 'magic of the name' led to a lot of people jumping in with
>altogether too high an expectation of miracle results, and now they
>are returning sadder and wiser.

Sad but true.   In my nearly 11 years of experience with this disease
(and Brian with his much longer experience will have seen even more
of this I am sure), I have seen the advent of Permax; selegaline; the
slow
release forms of levodopa (Sinemet CR and Madopar HBS);  apomorphine;
and most recently Mirapex (of which I have no personal experience)
and Tasmar (with which I am about to get acquainted soon). Each in
turn
was going to solve all of my problems; each in turn has solved some
of
them, and each in turn has brought me new ones.

Experience has taught me that any new treatment should be approached
with caution and in the knowledge that whatever else it does, it WILL
upset whatever balance I have already achieved with my meds.

I think it is fairly safe to assume that any new treatment will have
positive results for some of us and negative for others. There is no
way of predicting which group any given individual will belong to so
perhaps the best approach to new meds is to approach them with
a mixture of hope and resignation.  Its not that hard an attitude to
achieve, most of us have mastered it already -  its that feeling you
get as you take the first meds of the day.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 48/10
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/