Hi folks,

I have discovered another aspect of PD - invisibility!

Yup, as PWPs we are invisible to some of the populace.

I had long suspected this, as at meetings, dinners, etc., I
would talk, and no-one would hear me, or I would stand up,
wave, dance on one leg, or do whatever was necessary to
attract attention, and no could see me.

The real proof came when, because of a heat-rash over
Christmas, (here in the Land of Oz, it is frequently in
excess of 40 deg C - 105 deg F - over the holidays) I shaved
off my beard and mustache of 20 years standing, and NO-ONE
NOTICED!

I was mainly out with my wife, helpmeet and primary carer.
I think that people noticed me as a sort of Jim-shaped blob
appended to her, and figured I must be her husband.  This
occurred even with close friends.

Seriously, I think that people with disabilities,
particularly those that make people embarrassed, or which
remind them of their own human frailty, are seen
"out-of-focus", if at all.

If, added to that, they have difficulties in communicating,
eg, shaky handwriting, slurred speech, etc., they are
further shoved to the periphery of people's minds.

If it weren't for UN "Year of XXX", and "National XXX
Day", we would become completely marginalised.

Of course, *you* can read me, but you can't SEE me, nor
HEAR me.  If you could, I wonder how "visible" I would be,
allowing even for your great caring and empathy?

How "visible" are PWPs to carers of long standing, to
relatives, friends?

I have made it one of my New Year's Resolutions, to REALLY
see and hear ALL people, not just the more visible ones.

(Now, I wonder how invisible I am in the Bank?  If I
just... )

Jim