--part0_884272855_boundary

Thought that if all of you haven't yet seen this article, that you might find
it interesting.

Bill Turenne, Jr.

> [...]
>  for biotechnology, agriculture and the drug industry.
>

>    Kennedy
>  has proposed using money from new tobacco taxes to finance medical
>  research, an idea that seems to be gaining favor on Capitol Hill.
>

>    In a recent interview with The New York Times, Clinton sounded a
>  theme that White House officials said would show up in his State of
>  the Union Message late this month. "I do believe that in scientific
>  terms, the last 50 years will be seen as an age of physics and an age
>  of space exploration," Clinton said. "I think the next 50 years will
>  very likely be characterized predominantly as an age of biology and
>  the exploration of the human organism, especially with the completion
>  of the human genome project, which I think will literally explode
>  what we know about how to deal with health issues."
>

>    A major
>  goal of the genome project is to understand and decipher the human
>  genetic code, identifying genes responsible for particular diseases.
>

>    Patients' groups concerned about specific diseases, doctors
>  and medical schools are forming a coalition to lobby for a 100
>  percent increase in the institutes' budget over the next five years.
>  Terry Lierman, president of Capitol Associates, a lobbying concern,
>  said yesterday: "We plan a grass-roots campaign inside and outside
>  the Beltway. It will be run the same way Northrop Grumman lobbies for
>  the B-2 bomber."
>

>    Members of Congress said they would look to
>  NIH officials, rather than to the White House, for guidance as they
>  decide this year on the appropriate level of spending for biomedical
>  research. Klausner, the director of the National Cancer Institute,
>  recently sent Congress a blueprint for spending $3.19 billion in the
>  next fiscal year, up from the $2.55 billion provided to the cancer
>  institute this year.
>

>    "Knowledge about the fundamental nature
>  of cancer is exploding," Klausner said.
>

>    The budget request,
>  reflecting the professional judgment of government scientists,
>  includes these proposals:
>

>    --  The number of cancer research
>  and treatment centers around the country should be increased to 70,
>  from 57.
>

>    --  The government should authorize "a fivefold
>  increase over the next five years in the number of people
>  participating" in clinical trials of new techniques for the
>  prevention and treatment of cancer. At present, 300,000 people
>  participate in such studies.
>

>    --  Congress should provide an
>  additional sum of $40 million next year so the government can finance
>  the top 40 percent of applications for research. The cancer institute
>  says it now awards grants to the top 25 percent. (Applications are
>  evaluated by panels of experts, through a competitive process of peer
>  review.)
>

>    (Copyright 1998)
>

>  Copyright 1997 Scoop, Inc.  Duplication and distribution restricted.

--part0_884272855_boundary

Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 17:03:05 -0500 (EST)
From: Lawrence Hoffheimer <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FWD: BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH IN LINE FOR CASH BOOST

This Scoop! Direct article was forwarded by Lawrence Hoffheimer.

Bill:
Please print this and fax it to the
steering committee, etc.
Larry

Publication: Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Date: Jan 3, 1998
Author: ROBERT PEAR    THE NEW YORK TIMES
Words: 984

[...]

Scoop! Direct is an web-based news and information service that
delivers personalized news from thousands of trusted newspapers, wire
services, magazines and trade publications and includes powerful
web-based research capabilities.

Register now and get Scoop! Direct
for just $29.95 per month with a 30-day, money-back guarantee.
http://www.scoopdirect.com

--part0_884272855_boundary--