From:   PEwaschuk [SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
Sent:   Tuesday, January 06, 1998 11:54 PM
To:     Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject:        Re: meds for early PD - selegiline fact or opinion?

hi brian;
you wrote:
>Hello Emily, my first reaction to your post was
>'Well, even if I don't approve of everything,
>they can't go far wrong at that early stage.
>Now, having digested things for a while,
>I do have some comments:
>First ; Selegeline [sic]- don't feel guilty; It's not a major issue -
>just remember that the 'anti-depressant is probably
>the effect of the amphetamine (speed)
>which is produced as the Selegeline [sic] breaks down,
>so watch out or he'll be off partying all night!

since i have taken selegiline [10 mg per day']
since diagnosis 9 years ago,
i have not witnessed any such 'partying' tendency in myself
nor have i read of any similar reaction
in any of the medical studies that i have posted to the list
brian, i do think it would be more helpful, especially when addressing a
newbie to this 'designer disease' to qualify our statements about potential
drug effects as being our own individual opinion/experience only and thus
avoid the appearance of a sweeping generalization or declaration of fact as
substantiated by the accepted medical journals [unless, of course, that is
our intention]
for factual information on any medication discussed here those of us with
web access can:
1.      search the archives of this list at simon coles' website
2.      search the PubMed website provided by the US government

a third option is:
3.      request past postings of published news or medical studies from me when
my 'real' computer is up and running again on a 'real' server

we are all, miraculously, individuals
with individual reactions and individual symptoms

your cyber-sibling
now in mississippi mills, ontario, canada

janet

janet paterson / 50-9 / sinemet-selegiline-prozac / [log in to unmask]