>Could the kind soul who shared her discovery of clip-on
glasses that
>saves necks of cybernuts please repeat the email address
and 800 phone
>number where
>I can order a pair.  This has to be  the greatest  thing
since sliced
>bread!

After putting up with neck-aches and muscular-tension
headaches for some time, I got from my optometrist a pair of
single-focus, full lens glasses.  We discussed the problem,
and since I said that the distance from my eyes to the
screen, to the desk where copy lay, and to the keyboard are
much the same, he provided lenses that had a mid-focus of
about  2ft (60cm).  They work just fine.  It *is* a bit of a
nuisance to have to replace them with other glasses for
longer distance, but I can read OK with them, except for
very fine print.  Mainly I keep them in their case on the
computer desk.

On the point of ergonomics, the relationship between
screen-height, chair height, and keyboard height is a very
important one.  The centre of the screen, according to most
authorities, should be a little below eye-level.  But as
more and more 17" and 20" screens come onto the market, I
find from my experience in consulting that the best results
are obtained if the TOP of the screen is at, or a little
below, eye-level.

Having to bend the head back, in order to look up to see
part of the screen will stress the shoulder and neck
muscles, eventually leading to strain, and, if maintained
for any length of time, tension headaches.  Tilting the head
back also can cause unconsciousness, due to compression
of nerves and blood vessels at the back of the neck.

The keyboard should be in such a position that the wrists
are straight, or bent down, rather than bent upwards, as
this can cause wrist strain and RSI.  The chair should
support you with your back straight, and the seat should
be of such a height that your feet are on the floor, not
dangling, while your thighs should be supported and
straight, neither bent up or down.

Above all, and this is most important for PWPs, especially
those of us who get into a "fugue", take a break completely
away from the computer for at least 15 mins every two
hours, stand up, and walk around, even leave the room.
And I mean a break, not playing a computer game, or
just changing tasks.

Sorry if I am preaching, but we have enough trouble without
making more for ourselves! <grin>

Jim