>Does anyone on the PD List know about this possible added
expense on our
>telephone bills?  I'd sure appreciate some more info.  I
plan to write the
>FCC at the e-mail address provided, just in case...  My
husband and I sure do
>not need another expense and you probably don't, either.
Delda White

Hi Delda,
Same here in the land of Oz.  We have a government telco,
Telecom, and several private ones, though only one big one,
Optus.  Telecom, which owns all the lines, every now and
then tries this on, in one disguise or another, but so far
the governments have fought it off.

The telcos have a point, sorta.  Some big firms in the
capital cities make an Internet call early in the morning,
and stay on it ALL DAY, for the cost of a local call.  This
isn't fair, but for the telcos to attempt to solve that
problem by hitting EVERYONE with extra charges is even less
fair.  So I am agin 'em.  If their claim goes through, the
next thing will be timed local calls, and the two together
will kill off the Internet, sure as God made little green
apples.  The end result for the telcos will be a *downturn*
in revenue, not an increase, but they are too blinded by
greed to see that, I think.

Jim 58/12