Mary, Here is another study that I thought was interesting.
      Also, my dad has rheumatoid arthritis and guess what!<smile>
      They think rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease.
                                  Linda Forrest's Mom

Pharmacol Toxicol 1997 Apr;80(4):159-166

The potential role of iron chelators in the treatment of Parkinson's
disease
and related neurological disorders.

Gassen M, Youdim MB

Neurodegeneration is characterized by a marked accumulation of iron in
the affected brain regions. The reason for this is still
unknown. In this article we review the available data on the possible
involvement of iron and mediated oxidative stress in the
aetiology of Parkinson's disease and related disorders. Iron chelators,
if they effectively prevent radical formation, have great
therapeutic potential against ischaemia/reperfusion, rheumatoid
arthritis, and anthracycline toxicity, which are most likely free
radical-mediated. The efficacy of the best established chelating drug
desferal in neurodegenerative disease is limited due to its
high cerebro- and oculotoxicity. New bioactive chelating agents are
currently being developed, among them are oxidative stress
activatable iron chelators which are most likely less toxic and can
flexibly respond to an increase of free radical formation in the
cell.

Publication Types:

     Review
     Review, academic