As posted here previously, my father has been in the hospital for nearly
four weeks due to med-related problems.  They are finally getting him
back on his feet, but he still has a way to go.  We finally prevailed on
the docs to leave him on Sinimet and Clozaril, and go from there.  (He
gets 2 Sinimet 25/100 3x, and one at bedtime.)

We've realized as time has gone on that he is very depressed...he is
self-absorbed and has had crying spells.  He says that he thinks he is
losing his mind, and feels that people do not believe him anymore.
Looking back, it seems he was probably suffering from depression before
he landed in the hospital.  There would be an episode of minor confusion
(i.e. mixing up a date), followed by a realization of what he had done,
followed by withdrawal.   When he visited us a few months ago, he was
quiet and really did not initiate much conversation.  He also tended to
act panicky and helpless over minor incidents, calling the neighbors in
the middle of the night because my mother was coughing.

I'm hesitant to push the docs to add another med, as he hasn't fully
stabilized.  I'm wondering if there are other strategies we can use that
can boost his spirits.  We've tried to be reassuring and positive, but
it doesn't seem to stick.

Any suggestions?

Mark Klapper