BArb, first thing, which you already know: We're glad you're HERE!!!!  I know
how I would feel if I were disabled physically, (everyone here knows I am a
little shaky mentally :-) ...) I would want to be treated like a non-disabled
person under the same circumstances. If a door needs to be opened, and I see
someone with a heavy package, I will open it, if they are in a wheelchair, I
will do the same.  If I see someone who is grotesque, or deformed, I will
usually pretend I don't notice them. That may be wrong, but staring or acting
shocked is definitely more wrong.  People who routinely grin at,  and
acknowledge everyone in their path, unless they are running for office or
selling something, are a little scary when you travel through a big city. In
small towns or even medium sized cities, where people are just being nice
people, it is okay to nod, or smile, or even say something nice like "good
morning".
Try that in New York City, or similar places and you better check for your
wallet after the "friendly" people pass!  I am sure I'll hear some negative
comments about what I said, but I am speaking from the heart, and from
personal experience.  I think, also that everyone is different,  and many
would rather be "unnoticed".  Ken B