What follows is a longish personal anecdote with some relevence to
PD.

I went on a "Ghost Walk" on Friday night.

In this instance a Ghost Walk is a 5 km trail in the Darling ranges
just west of Perth.  It follows part of the route used 100 -130
years ago to bring felled timber from "the hills" down to the
Channing river to be barged to Fremantle and then shipped to the
world. The GW, organized by the local council, entails walking
through the cool of a moonlit summer night, and meeting the ghosts of
real people from 100 yrs ago.  The "ghosts" were played by council
staff and members of the Heritage Society.  As we encountered them
along the trail they brought the past to life with anecdotes about
'their' troubles and triumphs, the things they did, the things done
to them.

It was a magical night, made more so by an unexpected encounter with
a ghost from my own past.  To put that in perspective I'd better
explain one or two things.

First - the trail is down a steep escarpment.  Second - whilst most
of the 5 kms is along a well made gravel road, parts of it involve
very steep, narrow paths with uneven
going under foot.  It's not really a place for a PWP in "off" mode,
though well within the capabilities of this one in "on" mode. Third -
the walk, including being bused to the start point, was scheduled
from 7 pm - 10 pm, a time when I often get little value from my meds.
 Fourth - I'm a gambler (but not, in this case, a stupid one; I
explained my situation to the organisors, who happily agreed that I
could wait with a "ghost" for transport, should the going prove too
tough). Fifth - before PD robbed me of my balance, I used to train in
these hills with the SES (State Emergancy Service) a volunteer search
and rescue organisation.

Back to the night in question. By forgoing my evening meal I arrived
at the rendevous point in "on" mode. As we approached the gathering
of 'ghost hunters', I was surprised and happy to see that amoung them
were 3 or 4 members of my old SES unit. As the last time I had seen
most of them was at a reunion in late '96, comments were passed on
how much better I was walking since my pallidotomy (in April '97).

The walk commenced with my 'on' firmly establised. Our group of 20
walkers mixed and mingled and soon I lost immediate contact with my
wife and daughters as we explored the past.   An hour into the walk I
found myself slowing down and tending to fall behind. This,
fortunately did not affect the main group as I was able to catch up
during the meetings with the ghosts.  As the distance grew longer
between me and the group I became aware that the "ghosts" of my own
past were also out that night for I was never left alone. Always with
me was one or other of my friends from SES days.  Not once was I made
to feel that I was a burden;  not once did anyone suggest I stop; not
once did anyone offer to actively assist me, even when towards the
end I was walking on willpower alone.  They treated me exactly right
and proved to me that to those with eyes to see we are still visible,
still important, and still very much part of the present.

(BTW, my family had not abandoned me. All through the evening they
periodically touched base with me.)

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 48/10
http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/