Thanks Ken....

I had an interesting semi-negative experience yesterday along the lines of
this discussion.

My daughter and I went to the new Getty Museum where they had buckets of big
black umbrellas outside of every doorway for us all to use in the heavy rain.
(TOTAL class, in my book!).  The place was packed with people who weren't
going to be put off by a day of torrential rain!   Not only was there
umbrellas at every doorway, there was a Getty attendant at most doors to
assist guests.

There were giggling school children and eager senior citizens in clusters.
Teen-groups in wheel chairs and adult groups in wheel chairs - both with
caregivers - were weaving in and out of the mass of excited and curious of
people.  The large crowd was good natured, congenial, and courteous.(albeit a
bit damp) <smile>

I guess 'cause I have PD and because of this thread I was VERY conscious of a
nice looking, well dressed man about 60 years old who obviously (to ME, at
least) had PD and was in a wheel chair.   A carer (I cannot use the term
"caregiver" here as it seems inappropriate, considering his attitude) pushed
the wheelchair thru the crowd, but appeared to ignore the MAN in the chair.
At one point, as they approached a door to exit an area. it was thoughtfully
held open by someone who was entering.  The carer snarled, "I can do that!
THAT'S what I'm PAID to do!"

The man in the chair remained visibly impassive and said nothing.  The lady
who had held the door open visibly recoiled, and I was simply floored to see
the interaction which had just taken place..

This has caused me to do some serious thinking about the PWP who must have
daily assistant and what they may face when there is no partner or other
family member available or willing to step into that roll.

Is it just dumb luck that one in the above situation ends up with a caregiver
who is thoughtful enough to consider the FEELINGS of the individual they are
responsible for?  Is it enough to have someone take care of one's physical
needs yet not care about the EMOTIONAL needs of the PWP?  Is this a "trial and
error" thing - ya just keep going thru paid support personnel till ya find
someone who's sensitive enough to care for the WHOLE person?

I guess I'm asking a lot of questions here... and more keep popping into my
mind.  But basically, what this experience did was make me very conscious of
the fact there are lots of PWPs withOUT a Camilla or a Vivian or a Michel to
care FOR them as well as ABOUT there.  What do we do if we're in that
position?  (feeling like I've opened a "personal can of worms," here?)

Barb Mallut

Ken Becker said:

Barb, first thing, which you already know: We're glad you're HERE!!!!  I know
how I would feel if I were disabled physically, (everyone here knows I am a
little shaky mentally :-) ...) I would want to be treated like a non-disabled
person under the same circumstances