Barb (THE BILL'S Barb) wrote...
>I had an interesting semi-negative experience yesterday along the lines of
>this discussion.

Many years ago, when I was a sensitive lad (walked 6 miles to school,
uphill both ways, poor, no shoes, barefoot in winter, barbwire for traction
when icy, etc.), I had a negative experience as follows:
A blind woman who was using a white caine, was standing at the door to a
drug store.  I, being a helpful boy scout, offered to hold the door.  She
answered back, in a sharp, belligerent tone, that she was capable of
opening the door herself.  I felt I had been reprimanded and rebuked. I
felt hurt.  With that experience in mind, what was I supposed to do the
next time I met a physically challenged person?  Help them, ignore them,
walk the other way, what?  Remember, this was in the days when a child did
not speak to an adult unless spoken to first.

I resolved the dilemma by, in the future, reading the body language.  If I
felt that the person needed help and that the person invited help by
expression or by gesture, I helped.  If the person did not somehow indicate
that help would be welcomed, I essentially ignored them.