Well, Barb, that sure is a good question. There are so many factors to
consider. First one being how much money do hired caregivers get to do the
job. Why does it matter, you might ask. Simply put, you (hopefully) get what
you pay for. If you have to have a hired CG who is working for minimum wages,
and it is someone who is only doing it because they can't get a "better" job,
you MAY get a CG who has a bad attitude. On the other hand, if you had
wonderful insurance, have already retired with a nice nestegg  and have money
delivered in wheel barrows, maybe you can hire a CG who is so glad to be well
paid, that, even though overqualified, he/she is willing and able to do
anything the PWP needs, and also has a great attitude.  In the real world, of
course,  you can pay big bucks and get someone who doesn't even show up half
the time,and is a grumbler,  or get a person who volunteers to be a CG free of
charge, and is a pleasure to have around. My dad has two gentlemen to help him
about 5 hours a day, they are friends, so one comes on weekends, the other
during the week. If one of them is sick, or can't come, the other one shows
up.  It has been the best arrangement my folks have had, since needing that
much care for dad.  BOTH the CGs also do cleaning and chores around the house
whenever my mother asks, and often they volunteer. She pays $10.00 an hour.
She has had people for less who were "okay" but not fantastic, but she also
had times where she paid more, and had very poor results.  For now we thank
God for Ivan and Howard, and hope the arrangement lasts.  They are both
wonderful and feeling human beings, which is very important when dad is so
dependent.  Back to the situation you described, it was unpleasant for the
polite person who tried to help, but didn't really hurt the PWP in the
wheelchair, but could have been an indication of deeper problems.  There are
so many problems for PWP, and the best solution will be to find the cure as
soon as possible. But you already KNEW that!  [log in to unmask]