George,
 Botulinum Toxin (aka Botox ) is one of the interventions that my son uses for
his spaticity. Botox is often used with the "dystonia" groups ... since you
mentioned "neck" I'm assuming spasmodic torticollis is the specific
reasoning??:)  Botox has been used in "humans" for over 15 years. It's a
temporary "fix" ... but usually a "good" one. I would really suggest to your
friend to check their doctors "history" .... using Botox is an "art" to say
the least. There are EMG testing that help to pinpoint the "exact" muscle that
needs injecting (that does cause a bit of discomfort) but tends to cut down on
the "missed". The effects of botox can usually be noted in within 7-14 days
and last for about 3 months (sometimes longer). If you'd like to read more
about it the Dystonia Dialogue webpage has alot of usefull information listed
there. Cory has had 4 rounds of botox with fairly decent results. If you have
more specific questions I'll be glad to try to find specific answers (G) Take
care and best wishes from an Elf iN Tn...Romona (ps a link to the Dystonia
Dialogue is on our webpage:)
 http://members.aol.com/elf808/index.html   <---newbie webpage but it's in
color <G>
Elf wife to Tony (my hero), and mom to Tori (age 9, nda), Zach (age 8,
multichallenged), Cory (age5, multichallenged). The boys have no definative Dx
but several labels... Ataxia,Nystagmus, Strubismus, Dystonia, Parkinsonism,
Asthma, Execma, Hypotonia, Spasticity....ect  Collectively the
Dystonia/Parkinsonism effects the boys from eyes to toes and progressing
steadily. Currently Cory & Zach are taking Sinemet, Lodosyn and Cory has had 4
rounds of Botox, uses a walker or WC for mobility.

<<
 Dear colleagues,
           A new friend,85 years young Ray' has a friend, Carl, whose wife,
 Mary Lou informs Ray via Christmas card  that Carl has suffered from frozen
 "neck" muscles.for the past 4 years. Ray would like to help his  old friend
 and I would like to help my new friend  so I"m asking my old
 "friends" Carl lives in Peoria.............AZ that is.  Any thoughts??

 thanks
 george >>