Flemco- wrote:
The following is from Encarta:
Herpes Zoster
"Known as shingles, this is a one-time recurrence of the symptoms of
chicken pox, usually during adulthood. It is caused by the chicken pox
virus attacking a sensory nerve.
snip
I had shingles and chicken pox as a child and shingles again in my
mid-30's.  I remember my adult episode occurring during a period of
extraordinary stress in my life (job and family related).  As a child, I
don't know what I was stressed about.
Have any of you suffered from shingles and do you suspect any relationship
with PD?

Dr. Gerald P. Connolly <[log in to unmask]> responded:
Dear Larry,
My Partner is suspected of having PD, to be tested next month.
She has had chicken pox when young, and shingles recently.
She seemed to develope PD about 6 months later and has never been her
old self since then.
Please keep me informed of your findings.
I belive there is a virus-infection that can trigger PD?
Any info most welcome.
Gerald

Linda Carlton responded:
Hi! Gerald, I have clipped some messages together, just some notes
on what I have found out about herpes and PD.
Sanders VJ et al.
PRESENCE OF HERPES SIMPLEX DNA IN SURGICAL TISSUE FROM HUMAN EPILEPTIC SEIZURE
FOCI DETECTED BY POLYMERASE CHAIN REACTION - PRELIMINARY STUDY
Archives of Neurology.  54(8):954-960, 1997 Aug.
snip
Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 1997 Aug;51(4):181-184
Influenza virus and neurological diseases.
Hayase Y, Tobita K
Influenza viruses rarely cause acute encephalopathy. Post-influenzal
encephalitis, which occurs a few weeks after recovery from
influenza is thought to be an autoimmune process associated with
demyelination and vasculopathy. It has been suggested that
Economo lethargic encephalitis followed by postencephalitic Parkinsonism
was associated with the influenza A epidemic of 1918 (Spanish flu).
snip

Perhaps another point of view worth considering is that the HSV and PD might
both manifest under stress - but, independently.
--
Ron Vetter 1936, '84 PD dz      paradise is feeling good, not a place to go
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~rfvetter