Dennis Greene wrote:

>   This mixing up off directions is happening to me a lot these days,
> I even have to give concious thought to left and right. I'm not sure
> whether this is age, PD, or lazyness but for someone who used to
> teach map-reading its a bit of a worry.

Dennis,I don't know what causes it, either, but it's the same for me.
Only I've been that way all my life. For example, if I'm riding with
someone in a car, and they ask whether to turn left or right -- I KNOW to
turn left, but will clearly say "Right!"

In college I loved organic chemistry -- until we got to the chapter on
stereoisomers. I knew exactly which chiral molecule I was talking about
-- but couldn't say the right one aloud. Group study was a nightmare!

To some extent, I can overcome the spoken part of this mixup. I first use
my hand to point in the correct direction, then (concentrating hard) I
speak aloud the name of the direction I'm pointing.

You're the first other person I've ever heard of who's mentioned having
this problem. I'm sort of glad I'm not the only one.

Best,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD