Reggie Bennett wrote:

> He is really bothered by a burning sensation, generally starting in the feet
> and occasionally over his entire body.  We cannot figure out what causes
> this burning.   Has anyone experienced this?   Are there ways to lessen or
> eliminate this burning?

Dear Reggie,This burning sensation could be due to any one of a number of
factors. He should report it to his physicians, as he may require testing to
determine the cause.

One possibility, though, is B vitamin deficiency. The B vitamins work together,
so a deficiency of one will produce symptoms not only for that vitamin, but for
others as well -- because they are useless without that particular B. B vitamin
deficiencies can be difficult to determine, as they mimic other signs and
symptoms. However, blood testing can determine whether he is replete.

To give an example, B12 depletes very slowly, sometimes over a period of years.
The gradual depletion mimics Alzheimer's so closely that individuals have been
wrongly diagnosed with Alzheimer's. The burning feeling you describe is found in
the case of B vitamin deficiency.

When I counsel PWP, I ask them to write down everything they eat and drink for 3
days. I analyze the food record, using a software program, and check for
deficiencies of any vitamins. The B vitamins come up again and again. If it's at
all possible, I suggest you ask your father to visit a registered dietitian to
see if his diet is adequate for health.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--