4 YEAR POST-Pallidotomy REPORT (Surgery date 12/1/93)
  By  Dr. Don Berns

        After having suffered through the ravages of Parkinson's Disease
for 12 1/2 years I was privileged to become Dr. Iacono's first simultaneo=
us
Pallidotomy patient.  In just three and a half hours Dr. Iacono performed=
Postero-Ventral Pallidotomy creating two perfectly placed lesions in the
interior portion of the globus pallidus nestled right down by the interna=
capsule and the optic nerve.
        The results have been nothing short of outstanding as the followi=
ng
report will seek to communicate on paper what has and continues to be a
life-transforming experience.
    COLUMN CODES
1.  SYMPTOM BEFORE SURGERY            =

2.  6 mos. AFTER SURGERY                  =

3.  1 YR. POST-OPT                        =

4.  1 1/2 YR. POST- OPT
5.  2 YR. POST-OPT
6.  3 YR. POST-OPT
7. 4 YR. POST-OP

SYMPTOM                         COLUMNS
            1       2      3       4      6       7
TREMOR        Severe    GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE
DYSKINESIA    Excessive GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE
SWEATING      Excessive GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE
SLEEP
  DISTURBANCE Definite  GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE

EYELIDS       Slightly
DURING SLEEP  Open     Closed   Closed   Closed   Closed  Closed
SHUFFLE       Definite  GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE
GAIT FREEZE   Definite  GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE
SENSE SMELL   GONE      Back     Back     Back     Back     Back
ACHING =

   MUSCLES    Definite  NONE     NONE     NONE     Rarely   Rarely
BACK PROBLEMS Definite  GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE
AKINESIA      Definite  GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE
BRADYKINESIA  Definite  GONE     GONE     Slight   Slight   Slight
SEXUAL STAYING
    POWER     DiminishedEnhancd  Enhancd  Enhancd  Enhancd Enhancd
STRESS        Severely  No       No       No       No      No
              Affected  Effect   Effect   Effect   Effect  Effect
DROOLING      NONE      Slight   Slight   Seldom   Seldom   Seldom
URGENCY TO =

    URINATE   Yes       No       No       Slight   Slight   Slight
DYSTONIA      NONE      NONE     NONE     NONE     NONE     NONE
VOICE         Weak      Improved Improved Improved Varies   Varies
SPEECH        Affected  Improved Improved Improved Varies   Varies
SHORTNESS OF =

    BREATH    Affected  NONE     NONE     NONE     NONE     NONE
HANDWRITING   Very Bad  Normal   Normal   Normal   Normal   Normal
ON-OFF        Definite  GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE     GONE
APPETITE      Very Poor Normal   Normal   Normal   Normal   Normal

MEDICINE SCHEDULE
            1     2      3    4    5     6     7
Sinemet CR =

    50-200      3.5     3.5     3.5    4     4      4      5
Sinemet 25-100   1
Sinemet 10-100          .5      .5    .5    .5      2      1
Eldepryl         2       1       1     1     0      0      0
Amantadine       3       1       1     1     1      1      1
Permax 5mg       4      1.5     1.5   1.5   1.5    1.5     2
Zoloft 50 mg     1       1       1     1     1            =

Paxil                                               1      1
Hydergine        0       0       4     4     4      0      0
VITAMINS etc.
        In addition to the above meds I take the following on a daily
basis: 800 I.U. of Vitamin E, 1000 mg of vitamin C, 750 mg of Chewable
Calcium, and one Ginseng tablet.  Since Aug. '96 I have added to my regim=
One Coenzyme Q10 (60 mg) and 0ne DHEA (50mg).
        Since last December 1995, I have been using magnetic therapy in t=
he
form of insoles for my shoes, chair pads, and sleeping on a magnetic slee=
pad.  All of which I believe have benefited me in sleeping sounder and
feeling more energized.
OTHER PATIENT RESULTS
Although I no longer go out to Loma Linda to work with Dr. Iacono since I=

have moved to Pittsburgh over the years I have seen literally hundreds of=

patients who have elected to have a unilateral Pallidotomy, a bilateral
Pallidotomy or a combination Pallidotomy/Thalamotomy.  =

        Conservatively 85% of these patients have a good result ranging
from a C+ to an A+.  10-12% receive minimal help, but no harm is done, an=
3-5% have some sort of complication usually a result of bleeding.  NO ONE=
 =

has died as the result of this surgery or attendant complications.  These=

results are based on a very broad patient selection pool.
                FURTHER REFLECTIONS ON PALLIDOTOMY.
        In further reflecting on my Pallidotomy I believe that after four=

years I can make the following statements: =

        The Pallidotomy intervened into my Parkinson's Disease and
re-balanced the brain taking into account the dopamine and seratonin
depletion that existed and given the medicine schedule I was on at the
time.  This in a sense reset my Parkinson's Disease time clock back to
zero.  =

        Since the surgery meanwhile the underlying disease has continued =
progress with the dying off of more dopamine producing cells in the
substantia nigra.  Yet because the brain was brought back into balance wi=
th
so few of the dopamine producing cells active (let's say 10 % in my case)=
,
the fact that I now only have say 9% of my dopamine producing cells activ=
does not make that great a difference.
        Plus, I now have the luxury of taking a little more medicine when=

needed without facing those dreaded dyskinesias.  The greatest deficits I=

face are occasional drooling, getting sleepy mid-morning or mid-afternoon=
,
some slurred speech when I am tired or low on medicine, and being slightl=
slowed down in the late evening.  There has been some deterioration in
speech quality over the last year and a half.  You will notice from the
chart above that I have increased my Sinemet intake which has presented n=
problems.
        Concerning the stimulator implants, that may be a way to go if yo=
ur
surgeon has not had much experience or very good results with
Pallidotomies.
        I continue to feel my life was given back to me through the
Pallidotomy and tend to view every day as a bonus day, a gracious gift fr=
om
God.

FOR MORE INFO SEE WEB PAGE-  WWW.PALLIDOTOMY.COM
Dr. Don Berns
110 Delano Dr.
Pittsburgh, PA 15236
412-650-6812